Sunday, April 01, 2007

Visitors!


Hi Bloggees

Just recovering from first wave of partying with Barbs (aka Binky) and Paulie and chums. We had lots of fun showing them our favourite Cape Town things. Taking a breather before the arrival of Kim and co. next week..

Would like to congratulate one of my most faithfull bloggees Mandy on giving birth to her third beautiful daughter - Layla Rose. Mandy is so accomplished at childbirth that she delivered the baby in the car - presumably to save time and trouble for the nurses at the hospital ;-)

25 radiotherapy treatments now behind me - apart from feeling tired and having a burnt shoulder it was a piece of cake - maybe down to the fact that my Reiki practitioner made me inhale various "Aura-soma" perfumes six times a day in order to prevent the radiation rays from "piercing my aura"....

My main problem at the moment is "hot flushes" (or flashes as the Americans call them for some reason!) - they are an ongoing side effect from the chemotherapy and arrive on the hour, every hour, 24/7. If anyone out there has a remedy I would be most grateful...

Vincent has won the Herceptin battle with the health insurance company and they have now agreed to cough up 80% of the cost - this is a great relief after a lot of uncertainty - for example last month I was hooked up to the IV waiting for the Herceptin bag to arrive and the nurse announced that it was not "authorised" and that I would have to pay her R19,000 if I wanted to proceed with that days treatment (!) - this invoked a great deal of French shouting from Vincent who finally convinced the health insurance co. to "authorise" that day's dose - at least now we have an agreement in writing regarding the next 11 sessions..

We have decided to go away to Mauritius for a few days holiday later this month - now that the nastiest treatments are over and the psychological shock is receding it seems like a good time to take a break and draw a line under the last seven months and look towards a healthy future.

The "alternative" agenda continues to flourish - Vincent spent a whole day meditating and doing yoga last week - all in silence - even the lunch(!).. he returned home looking quite serene..

I have been offered some interesting work-related projects which I will make a start on very soon - the challenge will be to keep a balance with the mind, body and spirit as I restart some of my professional life and continue to build up my health.

Thats all for now!

janet xxxxxxxx

4 Comments:

Blogger Pam said...

Go Janet Go!
I love the pic of you and Barbs, you are looking amazing. It sounds like you are doing incredibly well and that the alternative therapies are very interesting and beneficial.

Sorry I have been out of touch, internet problems and not being able to post have caused the delay, hope this post goes on.
We are all well, Matt studying very hard for his Doctorate in Orthodontics and me trying to keep William and Alex out of his way. We had an interesting time yesterday at the Annual Spring Flower Show in our village hall, some sweet old ladies gave William lots of chocoloate biscuits which sent him totally ballistic and he was charging around nearly knocking them over and their lovely little flower displays they were being judged on!!! I tell you, you are missing out on all the action here in Somerset!
I think Mauritius sounds like an excellent plan. Keep well and strong, lots of love XXX

12:32 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This is obviously the place where all the old PRN girls go - good to catch up with Binks, Pam and Mandy - attagirl Mandy I hope you weren't driving at the time although nothing would suprise me less, you supreme multitasker! and now we want a picture of Kim to close the loop on the PRN girls (where is Sally in all of this??).

anyway here I am sitting in the serenity of Chantilly looking at a tranquil infinity pool (just for show, no swimming allowed)thinking of you all. This year is rushing past...and Janet let's hope it is a good one for you and Vincent...well done on the insurance, that will make you recover just from thinking about the financial impact and beating a bureaucrat at his own game!
Mauritius will be fantastic - this year we are into primates - just spent a weekend on an island with chimp orphans - sublime moment was my walk in the forest with a 20kg chimp on my back for 1 hour (no work out needed for the rest of the week in 100% humidy. Imagine being in the gym with a fur coat on!!) next trip is 6 days with the gorillas (no not guerillas) in Rwanda, Ross is coming too all on airmiles first class (well the flgihts nayway! There are some advantages to losing one's domestic life...Paris is lovely now, Montmartre is stunning so if anyone wants to borrow the apartment while I am not here let me know.

So dear bloggees travel hopefully as there is always something good around the corner.

lots of love to you all

Vxxx

6:31 AM  
Blogger Mandy Shrimpton said...

Hi Janet and Vincent and my dear bloggees ( Vicky being the most faithful and active bloggee - even whilst you are travelling to and from from Paris as well as fitting in sime prime mate visits :-) )

I am back!!!( Had to resign in on the new bloggee system as I was having trouble publishing so if you are ahving problems try signing in again.) Popping into the office to keep my sanity and chat to adults :-)

Vincent loved your blog add that to your resume of chef and childminder extraordinaire!!! See you were up before the dogs writing it.

Hope you enjoyed your Mauritius trip, I missed our Wednesday evening and am missing my Gourand tonic desperately so hopefully we can resume next week!

You are both truly amazing and have overcome your challenges with dignity and grace what an honour to be your friends.

Love always
Mandy

3:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi J & V

Long time me no blog! I used to get email alerts when you posted a message but I don't now, so I must remember to log in via web more often.

Great to see you both in March, and to see that you had a fab holiday. You look so refreshed and rested in the pic Janet. Great to see the hair coming back.

Loved the book you bought me by the way - Long Way Down - so amusing. Finally got round to some reading time over Easter - Rudi was away for 2 weeks in Germany. Whilst he was away the house we were buying fell through (surveyor said don't touch it with a bargepole and after our experience with the Franschhoek house we thought we'd listen to him!) and then we had a couple of weekends in Germany for family birthdays.

I am pining for SA. The house repairs are nearly done so should be ready to refurnish in next couple of weeks. I won't come over as the weather is a bit yucky I hear.

When exactly are you coming to the UK? Let us know - we'd love to see you, and if you want to stay in the countryside, come on up!

With love to you both, and continued admiration for staying so marvellously positive and loving throughout.

Linda and Rudi
xx

7:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home