Tuesday, January 09, 2007

What's the alternative?


My philosophy in life has always been to "work hard and play hard" which resulted in an interesting career and plenty of fun times. However this experience is forcing me to open my mind to more spiritual matters and accept that I have not developed that side of me. My dilemma has been that I could never relate to any organised "religion" but living in Cape Town has made me realise there are plenty of other paths to developing the soul... 2007 will be the year when I put my British cynicism aside and dabble in all sorts of whacky things - searching for something that resonates and tempts me to learn more..

Here are some of the things on my "spiritual agenda" - more suggestions from bloggees are welcome!
  • Quantum Touch - is based on the fact that we are all made up of energy and Ayala (in the picture) literally "runs energy through me" before and after each chemo session - its calming, relaxing and sometimes makes me feel that I am floating away..
  • Reiki - Apart from the therapy which we both have when we visit our "Reiki Master" we indulge in deep discussions with her about life in general and why we are put on this planet - she is fast becoming our spiritual guide - an ex corporate hotshot who has devoted the last 20 years to educating herself about alternative therapies. Very interesting lady, in great demand with a lot of experience treating cancer patients.
  • Homeopathy - have a great homeopath who has been helping me cope with the many side effects of my treatment - again she is a very "wise" person who is suggesting that whereas my mind/left brain is very well developed I will benefit from putting more emphasis on creativity and my emotional side. She has got me into drawing to express my feelings..
  • Journalling - have kept a detailed diary since diagnosis trying to make sense of this journey - and the blog of course is a way of tracking milestones and collecting emotional support from my bloggees!
  • Yoga - twice a week classes and work at home to create a space for meditation
  • Massage and reflexology from my beautician who knew me before all this happened and has been with me all the way...
  • Drumming - this is the year when Vincent and I will become accomplished djembe players - a very soulful instrument!
So my focus for 2007 is to restore health, appearance and some semblance of professional life but also to add a spiritual balance to the usual work and play mix... watch this space!

On the medical side I just have one more chemo to go (hooray!) on 24th Jan - it has certainly worn me down and my eyelashes and brows have now vanished which makes me look like a chemo victim rather than just a lady in an Afro headscarf! The next part of treatment will be radiotherapy - Monday to Friday for 5 weeks (will be like going to an office again!), then Herceptin every 3 weeks for the rest of the year. Psychologically this will be hard as it will be in the chemo unit and given intraveniously but the side effects are minimal and I should be able to grow back hair and lashes and start to look like a normal person again! Still no formal confirmation that my medical aid will foot the bill for Herceptin but they havn't said no so fingers crossed.

So Happy New Year to all bloggees - please stay with me on this journey...

Janet xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

1 Comments:

Blogger Aspey Associates said...

Hi Janet
Just popped onto your blog to see if you had written anything recently - for some reason I don't know when you have posted a message. Do I just need to check or does it notify your pals when you have written one? Anyway, really lovely picture of you chilling out! Hope the last chemo went as OK as it could do on 24th - so glad for you that at least this leg of the longhaul journey is over. Lovely to see you both in SA and of course to see the scrummy yummy dogs! It was just great to spend some time with you. Hope you are resting well Janet, and thank you again Vincent (otherwise known as Monsieur Fixit) for all your fab DIY help! May 2007 be a brighter better year for you. Love Linda and Rudi xx

3:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home